June 26, 2009

A Quick & Easy Girl Gift . . .

I'm pregnant. And tired. And easily frustrated by the fact that my daughter seems to have birthday party invites coming out of her ears. I'm happy she's invited, just bugged by the cost of gifts. Did I mention that I'm cheap? As in I don't love spending more than $10 - $15 on a gift, especially when it's for someone else's kid who isn't even related to me. Sorry if that makes me lame. Please continue to invite my children to your children's parties.
Yesterday while we were at Walmart, Hannie B reminded me that she had a party coming up this weekend. After browsing the super awful girls toys {don't even get me started on Bratz dolls}, we decided to make something fun on a $10 budget for the Birthday Girl.

We bought $13 worth of bulk craft supplies {chenille stems, craft sticks, glittery pom poms, beads, jewels and glittery sticker foam shapes}. Half of the supplies went into our own craft closet for the kids to use this summer. The other half ($6.50, thank you very much) went into a $3 jar we found in the household section.

We fashioned a sweet little label for the lid.

Tied on an obnoxiously large tulle bow.

And filled it to the gills with craft supplies.

Hannie B loved putting this gift together with me. It reminded me of when I was a kid and my mom would fill a canvas tote full of art supplies for me to give as a gift at parties. I always remember thinking it would be great to get brand new crayons, water colors and construction paper as a gift.

Now kids expectations are greedy. They seem to want $50 video games or gift cards loaded with money. Sad. Very, very sad.

Since the Birthday Girl reaction to the gift seems to play a big part in the party festivities and how H.B. feels about the gift she gave, I'll have to let you know how this one turns out. But for me, it is already a really great gift!

9 comments:

Apis Melliflora said...

I think your gift is better than most store bought ones. Creative and personalized and, from a mom's viewpoint, practical: a toy that a girl can assemble alone, requires creativity and no batteries. Not costly, but valuable!

Kasey said...

That is a better gift. That girl will have to use her creativity and she'll be going back to that gift often!! I love it. I may have to use this idea sometime. You're the best. And you're not cheap, just keeping it real!!

christy said...

I agree with the above comments. Much more creative and my girls would LOVE that gift. Super fun and I would love that they could do it on their own. If you're cheap, so am I. We have the same gift budget.

Anonymous said...

You're not as cheap as me and you are probably cheap because of my bad influence. ;-)

Burton's blog said...

Loved the idea. I am cheap also and have had to kill a party invite or two. We got seven invites in Dec. alone! With twins and two gifts per party I about croaked! I'm going to have to file this good idea away for later.

Hil said...

I think it's a great idea! Curious to know if the birthday girl liked it as well... I hope so!

The Kelly Variety said...

I love the idea! We started buying those huge pencils at the dollar store and a note book. $2.00, but every kid has loved it! (If my child doesn't get invited again because the gift was so cheap I'll not be too sad.)

Proud Mommy said...

What a brilliant idea!!!! Seriously, my 7yr. old son would even love this gift....minus the bow of course!!!! I think it will be the hit of the party!!!

Unknown said...

I love that you made it with $10. They sell them for at least double that online. I've seen them at Land of Nod.